I bought these bitter melons last week, put them on the counter and promptly forgot about them. I got up one morning last week end and discovered it had split open like some weird monster. These photos are from Friday and by this morning it had split all the way apart and the red seeds had totally come loose.
Lager and Cheddar Chicken Soup
- Have bad day at work and come home grumpy and pondering rash actions that will only result in your working at McDonalds.
- Stand in front of fridge and spy left over roasted chicken, bag of shredded cheddar and bottles of Stella Artois. Feel moderately better.
- Pull about a cup of chicken off the bird and reserve the rest of the meat for later. Take the carcass, drop it in the crock pot and set going to make chicken stock, because you can.
- Toss 2 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese in 1/2 cup of corn starch. Set aside in a nice yellow bowl that you bought at the second hand store.
- Open one of the Stellas and take a glug. It’s cold and good. Begin to feel alot better.
- Drop a cast iron skillet on the stove with more force than you need to because you’re picturing a certain someone’s head underneath it. Do it again. Yeah, that feels good too.
- Melt some butter in some olive oil and then add the chicken and cook it till it’s browning.
- Open other beer and pour it over the chicken. Well, not all of it. Drink the last bits.
- When the beer comes to a boil add the cheese. Mix until cheese melts. Reduce heat to a low simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finish 1st beer. Watch Ted Kennedy at the DNC and realize that life could be much much worse. You could have brain cancer after all.
- Pour the whole orange mess into a big bowl, plop down on the couch with a third beer and watch SciFi for a few minutes before tuning into try and catch Michelle Obama.
- Feel tons better. Ponder going back to work tomorrow after all.