1 pound blanched almnds
3 tablespoons spicy paprika
2 tablespoons onion powder
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablesoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
1 cup cold water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 sprigs of rosemary, stripped
1) In cast iron skillet satuee parprika, rosemary, onion and garlic powders and salt in about 3 tablespoons of olive oil until fragrant. Add almonds and coat with sofrito.
2) Cook almonds until just begining to color.
3) Mix water and cornstarch into a slurry.
4) Add sugar to almonds, mix, and then add slurry.
5) When mixture begins to thicken, pour out onto lined baking sheet and spread out into single layer.
6) roast in 350 degree oven until mass of almonds is solid and bubbling. Keep an eye on them so the moisture is removed but the do not burn.
7) Let cool and then break up like a brittle.
Rice sald marinating.
Chanterelle and onion dip chilling
Basil mustard vinaigrette bottled.
Kalamata olives sittng in lemon juice.
Bake off criostini
Drain cured veggies
Stuff and wrap figs
I’ve been assigned appetizers and salads. On the stove roasted red peppers for my version of harissa and in the cast iron skillet, chanterelles for mushroom dip.
Heirloom carrots, radishes and turnips in curing brine.
Soffrito almonds roasting
Chanterelle duxelle cooking off
Rice for Cranberry Wild Rice Salad cooking on stove
Peppers for Harrisa roasting
…..More to come.
A friend is coming for dinner. It’s a week night so maybe I’ll make martinis when he gets here. Maybe not.
Dinner. Talking. Wine. Friends.
- Pan sauteed tortellini with shallots and olive oil
- Catfish with peppers, leeks, tomatoes, zucchini, basil and tarragon en papillote wiht a bowl of goat cheese polenta on the side.
- Red Peppercorn and Anise Infused Custard with Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream.
Wine. Talkng. Laughing.
That is why I cook like this.
I took this recipe and modified by adding 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and swapping out the spices with cinnamon, 5 spice powder and nutmeg. I also used 2 whole eggs to compensate for the extra dry ingredient of the cocoa.