I sort of made this up as I went along so measurements are approximate at best. If you make this, taste as you go, adjust as needed, make it your own.
- The night before, soak 2 cups dry black turtle beans in water.
- In the morning, drain beans and add to fresh water and boil for 1 hour.
- Drain beans again. Place in bowl of food processor and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400. Peel and roughly chop 1 large shallot and 4 cloves of garlic. Add to small skillet with two sprigs of thyme and 1 sprig rosemary and a sprinkling of kosher salt. Lightly brown in olive oil. When just fragrant, wrap in foil (I wrapped the entire pan as matter of convenience but not everyone has a 4′ cast iron pan like I do, so do what you need to). Roast for 20 minutes or until fully fragrant.
- Add 1/4 cup fully mixed tahini paste to beans. Juice 1/2 lemon. Add approximately 1/4 cup scallions that have been roughly chopped. Puree till it forms a dry paste.
- When the garlic and shallots are done, add to the food processor with two tablespoons of sesame oil and puree again until fully incorporated.
- Taste and adjust salt as needed. Goes great with toast and vegetables and on chicken. I’ve also used it as a garnish in plain old tomato soup.