My Goat Got My Goat

The plans for goat bacon didn’t quite work out the way I had hoped.

I picked up the goat belly from the vendor and even before I got home I knew it wasn’t going to be what I expected. I could feel rib bones and very little meat. When I took it out of the shrink wrap, my suspicions were confirmed. I had some lovely fatty rib meat but not much else. I was a little disappointed and sad. I was really hoping to do something unique like goat bacon, but that was not to be.

Instead I took the breasts (because essentially, that’s what I had) and browned them in some bacon fat before putting them in a crock with some white wine and chicken stock. I let them braise for about 3 hours before I had to shut the whole thing down because I was going to be away from the house for a while. Everything got put in the fridge to sit.

Tonight I pulled it all out and used some of the braising liquid to make rice and then made a veloute with the rest. Then I set about pulling the meat off the bones.

Again, disappointed. Even after that time in the braise, the meat was full of cartilage and fat and hard to get off the bones. It really needed more time. So I took what I could for one meal and threw the rest back in the crock. This time I added a carrot and some beer and that will sit over night and over the day tomorrow. That should create the final product I’d like. The rice and veloute mix was more of a porridge with some meat but still delicious with the addition of some feta.

So I didn’t get the bacon I wanted. It’s place on my pop up menu will have to be reconsidered.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *