Catfish Poach with Radicchio Sauce and Roasted Garlic Brown Rice
1 10-12oz catfish filet (or some other dense flakey fish)
3 T butter
1/4 c olive oil
7 cloves garlic
1 large yellow onion, ½” dice
1 large lemon, sliced in ¼” slices
1 medium sized head of radicchio, ½” dice
1 cup brown rice
2.5 cups water
3 cups dry white wine
1 T cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Place garlic cloves in a ramekin. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Place in preheated 400 oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
2) In a medium sized saucepan, sauté half the onion and 4 cloves of the roasted garlic together with 1 T butter and 1T olive oil. Add rice. Continue to sauté until rice begins to “pop”. Add water and bring to a boil. Stir and reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook over low heat, covered for 30 minutes.
3) Sautee remaining onion and garlic in 1 T butter and 2 T olive oil. Add lemon and continue to sauté until juice begins to release. Season with salt and pepper. Add wine. Bring to a simmer. Add catfish and submerge in poaching liquid. Maintain bare simmer for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove fish to a warmed plate. Remove lemon from liquid and bring to a boil. Add remaining butter. Allow to reduce by ½.
4) Meanwhile add remaining olive oil to sauté pan and heat to shimmering. Add radicchio and sauté till wilted.
5) Mix cornstarch and cold water until completely mixed and then pour into boiling liquid. When the sauce has thickened, pour over radicchio and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
6) Reheat the fish in the braising liquid.
7) Ladle rice into bowl and portion out fish and top with radicchio sauce.